fbpx skip to Main Content
Lady Guilford

Audio Description

In 1819, the Marquess of Bute commissioned Scottish boat-builder Lachlan McLean to build a sailing galley. Using local oak and larch timber, McLean built a beautiful three-masted, lugger-rigged open sailing and rowing boat, fitted with 1 2 oars. The Marquess named her Lady Guilford – probably in honour of his new wife Lady Maria North, the only daughter of the Earl of Guilford.

Back To Top
Skip to content