Plan your school visit
The Scottish Maritime Museum is based in the West of Scotland with sites in Irvine and Dumbarton.
At our Irvine site, you can explore the Linthouse, Scotland’s ‘Cathedral of Engineering’, a vast, unique Grade A listed 19th-century shipyard building. Explore our shipyard worker’s tenement flat and experience home life in the 1920’s and discover our Fitting Shed and learn about triple expansion engines and the industrial revolution.
In Dumbarton on the River Leven by the Clyde visit the Denny Ship Model Experiment Tank – the first commercial tank in the world – and you can discover the scientific and engineering innovations of the influential shipyard. See firsthand how ship designs were tested and visit our new Engage, Experiment, Engineer gallery.
On their visit, pupils and young people of all ages can:
- Investigate their local and national maritime history.
- Discover fascinating vessels, objects and stories.
- See STEM principles and discoveries in action.
- Handle real historical objects.
- Enjoy storytelling and outdoor learning.
- Be curious, creative and inspired.
- Experience a fun and interactive visit led by our friendly, trained and knowledgeable staff.
To discuss your visit further please email our Learning Team firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01294 278283.