The Linthouse and Boatshop, Irvine
Home to Scotland’s national maritime heritage collection, the award-winning Scottish Maritime Museum is a great day out, with lots to see and do:
- Explore Scotland’s ‘Cathedral of Engineering’ – the vast, former Linthouse shipyard building
- Discover some of Scotland’s most historic vessels such as MV Spartan, Scotland’s last Scottish-built puffer, the harbour tug Garnock, and SY Carola, a steam yacht built in 1898
- Learn about Scotland’s importance to maritime history and about the people that built and sailed Scottish ships around the world
- Enjoy family-friendly interactive games and trails which change seasonally, or the activity trail, which is a fun, interactive and learning experience way to explore the Museum.
- Refuel at Puffers Café and take in the stunning views over the River Irvine Estuary or drop by the Linthouse Coffee Bar which serves Fair Trade coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks and cookies. More information about the cafes can be found here
- Take a look around our heritage and maritime-themed gifts and gallery in the Museum Gift shop within the Boatshop
Day Ticket & 1920s Flat Tour & Fitting Shed Tour
In addition to the above discover what home life would have been like for a shipyard worker just after the turn of the century and see the workings of a triple-expansion marine engine from the steam tug ‘Chipchase’. The Tour, which lasts around 50 minutes, begins and finishes at the Linthouse reception. Limited places are available on each tour.
Rail: Scotrail Website – five minutes’ walk from Irvine Railway Station
Road: Route Planner – From the A77 take the A71 and follow the brown signs to the Harbourside and the Maritime Museum. FREE PARKING
Bus: Kilwinning, Irvine and Kilmarnock, No.585 Ayr, Irvine, Greenock, X34 Irvine, Beith and Glasgow and the 14A Service from Troon all have convenient bus stops nearby.
Sea: – We have our own pontoon in Irvine harbour where visitors can moor. Pre-booking is essential by emailing email@example.com
Bicycle: We have cycle racks as well as a full bike maintenance kit within our boatshop. On route 7 of the National Cycle Network.