Half Hull Model of T.S.Y Liberty
Liberty was launched in 1907 for the famous newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer for $1.5 million dollars. Designed by G.L. Watson and built by Ramage & Ferguson of Leith, it was one of the largest private yachts ever built at that time. Pulitzer died on board in 1911, and Liberty was sold to Scottish-Canadian businessman James Ross in 1911 or 1912 who renamed it Glencairn. Ross died in 1913 and the yacht was purchased by Viscount Tredegar. During the First World War Liberty was requisitioned. Afterwards Tredegar sold it to the shipping magnate Sir Robert Houston who died on board in 1926. Houston’s wife, Lady Houston, lived on board for in the 1930s – she disliked the then Prime Minster Ramsay MacDonald so much that she sailed around Britain with “DOWN WITH MACDONALD THE TRAITOR” in giant electric lights on the rigging. On her death in 1936 Liberty was sold scrap and dismantled in 1938. This model was probably built by Ramage & Ferguson themselves, with the plaque added after 1918.